When accidents happen, it’s good to know that you and your family have the extra protection of accident insurance which pays a benefit if you’re injured or die because of an accident, on or off the job. Payments are tax-free and are paid in addition to any other insurance you may have.
You, your eligible spouse and eligible children are covered for the amounts shown below if death or permanent injury occurs within 90 days of an accident. Accident insurance covers you and your family for the following amounts:
• $50,000 for member
• $10,000 for spouse
• $2,500 for each child
If you die in an accident, your spouse and child continue to receive accident insurance for 12 months at no cost.
Other accident benefits
(Conditions apply, contact TEIBAS for details).
In addition to cash payouts, IBEW Local 353’s accident insurance may also help to cover the following costs:
• day care if you die in an accident, for children under age 12
• transportation for a family member to visit a beneficiary who is hospitalized more than 150 kilometers from home
• home and vehicle alteration for wheelchair accessibility
• rehabilitation for special training required as a result of injuries
• return home for preparing and shipping a body back to the city of residence if more than 150 km away, and
• spouse occupational training if you die in an accident.
What’s not covered
Member and family accident insurance doesn’t cover:
• any form of disease, illness or physical or mental infirmity, or
• bacterial infections (except pyogenic (producing pus) infections related to an accidental cut or wound).